The biggest change in marketing since the invention of the focus group http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_group has come about with the ability for marketers to be responsive to the context of the audience:
- Attitudinal context: the mindset of the audience upon contact
- Physical context: what is the audience doing and where are they when they are being interacted with
- Relational context: how will the audience relate to what we’re presenting
Five impacts that should have made marketers as we knew them extinct:
- Interactivity means no end to any program
- Execution means nothing compared with performance
- Your brand is your customers
- You’ve lost control
- Research used to be ok, but now it’s all about listening.
More to come on this and its impacts.